Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Time for 2 of course I do

Well yesterday was so fun! Nah it was the Monday after spring break crazy, crabby, exhausting. Today slightly less chaos but still exhausted. I know I say it a lot but 6am i not meant to be seen by human eyes...at least not mine. So today I made breakfast first, woke the green monkey, blue was snuggled on the couch with his "juice and a show" and had been for about an hour...that kid never sleeps! So extra groggy I trudge to the kitchen, no idea what I'm making for lunches...and timing it to see what my worst case scenario time would be. Tired, 2 lunches, 2 kids up and hungry, no idea what I'm making, and I added simple art to up the 15 min challenge. Now they aren't the most stellar bentos ever, but they got eaten, which is why I do this in the first place :). Today was 12 minutes start to finish, you can add 2 more minutes for putting stuff away and packing backpacks. By 6:30 I was making my own breakfast and green monkey was dressed and watching TV.

Start 6:18am finish 6:29am
 Eggcelent choice Green monkey


In this lunch :
  • Peanut butter and jelly Easter egg
  • Striped egg had Annie's graham bunnies
  • Green egg had small chocolate bunny
  • Cucumbers
  • Strawberries
Have hoppy day blue monkey

 In this lunch :
  • Peanut butter and jelly bunny
  • Stripped egg has Annie's graham bunnies
  • Blue egg has a small chocolate bunny
  • Cucumbers
  • Strawberries
Sugar-free Jello Fluff Dessert


So the low-carb lifestyle is awesome, improves your energy, lowers body fat, and helps to control your insulin. I am pre-diabetic with a crazy sweet tooth, evil right? I do really good on all the major food groups until it comes to dessert. Especially around holidays when everyone else can eat with abandon and not need to sleep for 3 hours. So that's where this concoction came from, green goodness, and yes my portion is a bit more than I should have but it's an endulgence.

Recipe (If you can call it that seriously that easy)
  • 1 box sugar-free jello any flavor (I used lime for St. Patrick's Day)
    • 1 cup boiling water
    • Stir in jello
    • 1 cup cold water
    • Chill for 4 hours or until set time will vary based on the depth of container used, I wanted thin so I used a 6-cup pyrex dish
  • 1 box sugar-free jello pudding any flavor (I used pistachio again for greeness)
  • 1 16oz carton of heavy whipping cream
    • Whip cream until fluffy
    • Add pudding mix whip some more it will get thick fast if using a electric mixer
    • Chill until jello is ready
    • Spread on top
  • I cut into 6 portions but you can create your own based on nutritional values

Obviously this is high in fat using heavy whipping cream, but it's dessert so pick your battles. Low-carbers tend to eat higher fat ratios as the body will burn fat for fuel when carbohydrates are not available. I'm not a health coach or dietician, but 150 years and science...just sayin' its an option. You can of course cut the portion size to 8 and lower those counts as well. My green monkey devoured it! As you can imagine a lot of the substitute "cheats" taste like substitutes, this however is amazing and takes some will power not to eat the whole thing in one sitting. I can imagine all kinds of flavor combinations too.

3 comments:

  1. I'm impressed!! These are cute, healthy and SUPER FAST! Thank you for linking to 15 Minute Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing you did two bentos so fast! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete