Thursday, February 28, 2013

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”
Dr. Seuss, Happy Birthday to You! 


Saturday is Dr. Seuss's Birthday and Read Across America you can find all kinds of printables online. Need lunch ideas or other fun snacks? Check out this linky at Bento Bloggers & Friends for all kinds of Seussical wonderment.

The monkey's classes haven't done their Seuss days yet and to be honest I've been overwhelmed with commitments lately. So while I had high aspirations, I fell a bit flat on delivery. He is our all time favorite author though so here's a beginning and hopefully this robot squirrel gets her groove back soon.


Green Eggs and Ham

When tasked to pick his favorite Dr. Seuss book, Green monkey of course picked Green Eggs & Ham. He would not, could not eat ham today, so his is a PB&J. Dressed up with green Americolor marker and a slice of cheese, what can I say I aim to please. He wanted a green egg to eat, so we dyed it and poached it and wrapped it up neat. Green honeydew to chew and chew, and some green broccoli for garnish but that simply would not do. He would not eat his broccoli, or the yolk of his green egg. He would not eat them here or there, he would not eat them anywhere. What he did do was bring his book, and read it to his class, so they could look.


Oh the Places You'll Go

 “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

For little Blue monkey it was clear to pick Oh the Places you'll Go, to know him is to love him, be he never goes slow. First he raced down carrot roads in apple and grape mobiles, pretty rough terrain for delicate wheels. Next it was up up and away, he just could not help but fly away today. When you can't decide which way to go, round and round the world wherever the winds may blow. 





The Grinch Who Stole Christmas

“Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!”
Dr. Seuss,
How the Grinch Stole Christmas 


One last lunch, then I'll let you be. The Grinch is one from Christmas past but still very dear to me. I get a bit grinchy from time to time, hide in my cave, and yes sometimes whine. Our lunchy Grinch is made of turkey and cheese, on a spinach tortilla with fruity hat that whipped up like a breeze.

"The Grinch: The nerve of those Whos. Inviting me down there - on such short notice! Even if I wanted to go my schedule wouldn't allow it. 4:00, wallow in self pity; 4:30, stare into the abyss; 5:00, solve world hunger, tell no one; 5:30, jazzercize; 6:30, dinner with me - I can't cancel that again; 7:00, wrestle with my self-loathing... I'm booked. Of course, if I bump the loathing to 9, I could still be done in time to lay in bed, stare at the ceiling and slip slowly into madness. But what would I wear? "


“So be sure when you step, Step with care and great tact. And remember that life's A Great Balancing Act. And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed) Kid, you'll move mountains.”
Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go! 

Now click through that linky, and go read great books that help you thinky.

No comments:

Post a Comment